Wednesday 23 March 2016

Canoeing at Camp by Heila


Canoeing in Camp by Heila

“Group 5, you are doing canoeing with Adrian, Shivana and Rachel” Jono said as he read the list. It was our first day in camp and our first session was canoeing. We were in Long Bay and the camp we were in was called MERC. My group went at the front gate and and sat on the log, our instructors were already there. We introduced ourselves to the instructors and they also introduced themselves. Adrian was from Canada, Rachel and Shivana were from New Zealand. I was so excited.

“What kind of paddle do we need when we are canoeing?” I asked. “A T grip paddle” Adrian said. “Ok now wear your togs, sunscreen, sunhat and we will give you a lifejacket” Shivana told us. I quickly got ready and came where the lifejackets were. I wore one and waited for my other team members. When everyone came we went to the beach with our T grip paddles and practised how to paddle a T grip paddle. When we were ready we pushed our canoes to the sea with the help of our instructors and our parent helper, Mike. There were 3 canoes, they were side by side by wood and tape. We hopped in the canoe and our adventure had just began.

We paddled and paddled until we got far out in sea. ”Stop paddling” Adrian shouted. “You guys can swim” Adrian said. “Isn’t it deep, or there might be sharks” I thought to myself. I had to face my fear and I jumped in the sea. It was really nice me and Emily D tried to touch the ground but we couldn’t because it was so deep. After a while we had to get back in the boat. “Ok guys we will play a game, canoeing karaoke” Shivana said. “This is how you play, here is a milk bottle (the bottom was a quarter bit cut). I will fill it up with water, we will pick one of you  to sing any song you want but you have to entertain us, if we get entertained a little then I will splash the rest of the water on you, so who will go first?” Adrian told us. Bronson’s hand went straight up so he was first. Bronson didn’t entertain us so he got splashed with water. I then put my hand up and I was next, my song was Row Row Row your boat. I entertained everyone but still got splashed with water for fun. That was my memorable moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment